'Writers are liars by nature, but just because of that, don't discount us. For it is through our lies that we tell the truth. Our stories become the mask.'

Wednesday 4 July 2012

A Basket of Acorns, and a River that whispered...JUMP

It's so true...and most of it is just pacing, or staring frozen at the screen of your computer (or typewriter if you're lucky enough), or downing some poison in the hope it will make your fingers work magic and inspire a story to life.
  Yep, doesn't work...I mean sure I get a hundred good ideas for my books when I drink but then I can't actually write them down because...well, you know, you try writing when drunk, it doesn't work.
  It's strange how my writing came about. I started when I was tiny with half drawn, half written simple stories about horses and evil snakes but then that morphed more into art.
  I don't know, maybe I was just more susceptible as a little girl to believe and imagine whatever, but I'd become my stories.
I'd sit down, draw a dragon or a cat or some other animal, cut it out and then, I'd stop seeing the world around me. In this new world I could actually fly and run and go anywhere and be this animal as part of its' story. Often it was so addictive I'd lose track of what was happening in real life for hours. They'd flash by...Eventually those drawings led me, as I got older, to constantly experience this single story over and over again. After a while I stopped being able to become my drawings and so turned to writing, in which I wrote down the story I'd been repeating, which in turn became this story that I've been posting. Aka, The Beginning of an End.
  Probably the biggest mistake I made was getting said book self-published, it was a huge waste of money and time and didn't lead to anything. Like a wise man once warned me, all it results in is a warehouse filled with your printed books doing nothing. Seriously, the only way to publication is actual publication in which the company pays you to publish the book. (As in they pay you and then they publish it).
  It progressed from there and my writing style grew better with the help of a few authors and professor's I know and now I'm working on three or four different storyline ideas and projects. Every story I've begun to write has come to me in the form of pictures and often times music. Except for when I revise a book I start with writing the first draft of my story by hand in notebooks, old or new exercise books and mismatched diaries, after which I'd type it up and then begin editing, revising, getting second opinions and so on and so forth.
  I feel like I've been doing this for a lifetime, and it makes me curious to hear how others write and progress. Any stories?

Much love Poppets,

Miss CLScarlett xx



 


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment